Monday, January 21, 2008

DJ Report #1 - The Mae Shi

I said a few posts below, I had a bit of inspiration when finally deciding to start up this blog in terms of different topics and ideas to talk about. Here is one in motion...

I seem to be spending a lot of weekend time DJing at various Leeds establishments while being home, and I had much fun at Trash on Friday for Art Is Hard - which featured a new band from ex-Komakino fellas - You Animals



But the interesting thing came relatively early on when I played "Run To Your Grave" by LA inhabitants THE MAE SHI. No less than 5 people came up to me to find out what the song was, I don't think I've ever had a reaction like it from playing a song. Maybe it was because people weren't completely hammered yet



THE MAE SHI come from LA and Run To Your Grave is actually from there 3rd album (I think...), but from what I can tell it's the first to get a decent push in the UK - coming out soon through Moshi Moshi. 

The video is above and it reminds me of fun like Deerhoof and Xiu Xiu, and I'm suprised they haven't featured as heavily as things like No Age in the tips for '08 lists. They tour the UK in the next few weeks 




Soundtrack to this post: Mogwai / Final Fantasy / Smashing Pumpkins

No comments: