Friday, January 15, 2010

Albums Of The Decade

It's taken me a while to round up my thoughts, but spurred on by being asked my favourite British albums of the last decade - and thus realising all my favourites were not applicable. Here are some thoughts:



YANKEE HOTEL FOXTROT
Wilco (2002)


Never has an album encapsulated me from first listen as much as this. Again, the love is possibly heighetened by the "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" documentary, but there are so many tunes that mean so much on this album



Listen to 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' on Spotify here


PLEASE BELIEVE IT
The Party Of Helicopters (2003)


Odd choice, but POH are simply the best live band I ever saw, and my love for this album is near unrivalled. Just ask anyone I subjected it to while on the road with Forward Russia.


THE TEXAS-JERUSALEM CROSSROADS
Lift To Experience (2001)


Such scope and vision, my heart lifts and sags with every crescendo and swell of Josh T Pearson's voice

THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE
Low (2001)


The perfect Low record. Which is pretty perfect really


THE MEADOWLANDS
The Wrens (2003)


Existing as if from nowhere, it's a mish-mash of indie slants that shouldn't works, yet does, better than you can imagine


YOU FORGOT IT IN PEOPLE
Broken Social Scene (2002)


A blueprint for pretty much every great band of the last x number of year. Pretty much. Unrivalled


MAGNOLIA ELECTRIC CO.
Songs: Ohia (2003)


Hard, but tips the Molina scale for me, if just for "Hold On Magnolia" and "John Henry Broke My Heart"


DESPERATE YOUTH, BLOOD THIRSTY BABES
Tv On The Radio (2004)



Again, how do you weigh up 3 TVOTR albums, but this album as a statement of intent


SET YOURSELF ON FIRE
Stars (2004)


The other side of the Broken Social Scene coin, a wistful explosion of sugar coated morose pop midget gems


Soundtrack to this post: M83

No comments: